- John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company founded (merged with Manulife in 2004).
- Started investing money for John Hancock’s balance sheet.
- The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company founded. Sir John A. MacDonald, Canada’s first Prime Minister, was the Company’s first elected President.
- Started investing money for Manufacturers Life’s balance sheet.
- John Hancock started managing money for third party tax-exempt institutional investors.
- Investment office in United Kingdom established.
- Investment management firm Elliott & Page Limited founded. Acquired by Manulife in 1996 and subsequently renamed Manulife Asset Management Limited.
- Started managing mutual funds in the US as John Hancock Advisers.
- Hancock Timber Resource Group founded.
- Declaration Management & Research LLC founded.
- Hancock Agricultural Investment Group founded.
- Asset management office, Pt Manulife Aset Manajemen Indonesia, established in Indonesia.
- Manulife Financial Corporation (ticker “MFC”) becomes a publicly-traded company.
- Asset management office established in Japan.
- Asset management office opens in Hong Kong.
- Manulife Financial merges with John Hancock Financial Services.
- Asset management office opens in Vietnam.
- Asset management office opens in Thailand.
- Asset management office opens in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Acquired Fuhwa Securities Investment Trust Co. Ltd., subsequently renamed Manulife Asset Management (Taiwan).
- Acquired a 49% stake in China-based asset manager, subsequently renamed Manulife TEDA Fund Management Company Ltd.
- Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor (QFII) strategies launched, offering international clients the opportunity to tap China’s domestic equity and bond markets. Quota successfully completed in 2011.
- Name changed globally from MFC Global Investment Management to Manulife Asset Management.
- Manulife Asset Management expands its asset allocation capabilities with the creation of the Portfolio Solutions Group.
- Established several new teams including US Core Value team, US Large Cap Growth, International Value and Canadian Core Equity.
- Manulife Merged its Unit Trust and Asset Management Businesses.
- Announced business expansion into Korea.
- Invested in building Singapore as its complementary hub for ASEAN.
- Added Emerging Market Debt portfolio management team.
- Added U.S. Small Cap Equity portfolio management team.
- Added Global Equity portfolio management team.
- Announced the expansion of our global private asset management business, Manulife Asset Management Private Markets.
- Added Global Natural Resources Equity portfolio management team.
- Manulife to acquire the Canadian Operations of Standard Life plc
- Hires New Global Emerging Markets Equity Portfolio Management Team
- Acquired Standard Life Investments Inc. in Canada and amalgamated it into Manulife Asset Management Limited
- Acquired Standard Life Investments (Real Estate) Inc. in Canada and renamed it Manulife Asset Management Private Markets (Canada) Corp
- Manulife Asset Management (US) LLC assumes responsibility for managing Declaration Management & Research LLC (DMR); DMR dissolved.